"Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you."

Friday, March 7, 2014

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A MONTH MAKES


Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the last time I posted was exactly one month ago on Friday February 7th. 

Mom is still hanging in there. Last month there were a couple times when I really thought she was going to "go."  She calls it "going poof"

The other day she called me and said "I feel like I will go poof today."

She is having a hard time. She hurts all over from head to toe.  She has a bad sore on her bottom because she can only lay on her back sitting up a little and that puts pressure on her there. Seems like there is nothing that can be done about it. Everything we try hurts her. :( 

She still has trouble swallowing.  She won't eat unless I am there. So she doesn't have breakfast and I go there for lunch and dinner every day.  There are not enough people there for one to just sit with her while she eats. Eating means drinking really because she just uses a straw for almost everything now. She has only been drinking milk and vanilla shakes. And likes yogert and vanilla ice cream. She can have those sometimes when the slight thickness of them doesn't bother her throat.

She seems to have a better attitude towards things. A slightly better one. :) That is a good thing. I tell her that she should have faith in herself and in God. He is the only one that can give her comfort and peace when I am not there. We say a prayer each evening before I leave. I hope that she can hear it and that she remembers it so it can help her during the night.

Well that is all for now. I hope all of you are well. I pray for you and your families each night. :)

Thank you for your support and prayers.  Please let me know how you are doing.

Take care, be safe and warm and enjoy life. God bless you all.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. I have lived those days, as you know. The nursing staff repositioned mom, gently, every couple of hours. Just slightly roll her to one side and wedge a spare pillow under one cheek. Then in a few hours move to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a time you are having there. I pray you have the strength and peace to do what you have to do. It is not easy being the caregiver. Been there several times. I do have some tips that might help your mom. There is a mattress that looks like a pool float, with channels. There is a pump that goes with it. I pumps up every other tube every other time, so it gently rocks the patient. Its to stop bed sores. Its better than sheep skin. Also, she can not live on shakes and milk alone. Get her some ensure. I like the Butter Pecan flavor best and keep it chilled. Each one gives you 1/3 of what you need daily. There is never enough time in the day to do all that you need to do, pick what is most important that day. The house work will be there when you get around to it. Your medical supply store can tell you about the mattress. If you cannot find one, email me and I will check on line. In my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to see a post from you here. I have thought about you a ton of times and should have sent you an email to see how you were doing but I don't think you have a working computer at home?
    I am so sorry about your Mom's condition. It is just sad, isn't it? I know that it must hurt YOU to see her hurting so bad. It must be hard on your to just sit there and not really be able to do anything to help her. Bed sores are a terrible thing and hard to get rid of once they happen.

    I hope that YOU are taking care of YOURSELF, too, Janet. Just do what you have to do and let things go so that you don't get overwhelmed. You are an amazing daughter! That is a huge commitment to be there every day and take two meals there with her.

    God bless you- You and your family are in my prayers- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet ~ so glad to have an update from you!
    What a task you have to do right now. Your Mom
    (how sweet that she says 'going poof!') is really benefitting from this very self sacrificial help on your part.
    I have been thinking and praying about you and her a lot.
    We all want to give you our support, especially as we have been through something similar, although to be honest, my father took a lot of the job on in my case, as I live 100 miles from my Mom and could only do a visit every 10 days or so. However, when I was there it was to stay beside her, feed her, see to her needs to give Dad a break. That way we managed. Those times are etched on my memory as sad, yes, but very precious.
    Yours is a very tiring situation, and as NanaDiana says, I truly hope you can do everything practical to look after yourself, its important.
    I dont know if you got my email? Prob. not because of the computer situation...I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you.
    Very many blessings,
    Alex xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please give your mom a gentle hug for me. It hurts us to see what our loved ones go through. I know that it is hard to be there and try to have a somewhat normal life....but cling to these days, prayer is your comfort. Blessings to you and your mommy. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I always enjoy hearing from you. Have a wonderful day. :)