"Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you."

Sunday, April 15, 2012

This Do In Remembrance Of Me


Good Sunday morning to you,

While trying to decide what to write here today, I started thinking about church. I thought of our scripture study in Sunday School and what our worship service is like. 

I thought about what I enjoyed most about this time spent thinking and learning of the Lord.


What I enjoy most about our worship service is the time we take to remember what Jesus did for us. 

Every Sunday we partake of the emblems of Christ's flesh and blood. In the New Testament it says: 
  
And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.  And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Matthew 26:26-28

And :

And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.  Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Luke 22:19-20


Thinking about the words I underlined, it makes me think of being baptized for the remission of my sins.  And that I have repented and can continue to repent of my sins and His blood makes me clean.  

When I go to church to "do this in remembrance of Him" I can look at my life, in the past week to see if there is anything that I have said or done that is wrong and repent of it and then I can be made clean. Each Sunday I can be just as clean as I was when I came up out of the water at my baptism. 

Do you remember that 'clean' feeling? 

Also this passage speaks of the importance of taking the emblems of Christ flesh and blood worthily. In other words, after repenting and coming to Him humbly and with a contrite heart. Paul is speaking to the Corinthians:

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:  And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.  After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.  For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

1 Corinthians 11:23-29

How important it is to take of these emblems and remember the Lord. I feel blessed to be able to do this each week.  And feel that 'clean' feeling. :)

This is the most enjoyable moment of my Sundays.

I would love to hear what you all enjoy the most about your Sundays. :)

Have a wonderful and blessed Sunday my friends.

Take care...










 

5 comments:

  1. Good morning Janet.
    Well said! I love your thougts!!

    It's my favorite part of Sunday's too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was baptised as a baby, but I remember the sparkling new feeling after my confimation, with my hubby, at ages 25 and 27.
    I am just thankful the Lord has waited for me in all my errant wanderings... I am home with him now, and so grateful I cannot express it.

    My favourite moment in Communion is when they say 'draw near with faith, all who believe...' all those humans across the world, across the ages with problems, disillusions,
    anxieties finally seeing and approaching the Lord to be healed and renewed.This is a key moment of choice in the Service. It is very touching that he will allow us to do this over and over, despite our
    contant falls.
    Hope this made sense!
    Blessings to you, dear Janet.
    xxx H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely said. I am almost to the point here with my kiddos that I can actually close my eyes and think for a second during the sacrament without wondering if things are being thrown across the bench, trying to keep them from spilling the water everywhere, and without trying to keep them from screaming. I think my favorite part of my Sunday is singing the hymns. I don't care if I sing so loud people three rows away can hear me. I love praising the Lord that way. I also love giving service to my ward on Sundays. Thanks for the great post. -Steph-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so glad to read this tonight. You know, you don't find very much written from a personal standpoint about the communion service -- perhaps because it is so "personal." Yet, as you quoted, it is a time for us to all come TOGETHER and partake. Yes, I love that clean feeling you spoke of -- to know that my heart is right, all my wrongs made right, my robes are washed white, and I'm right with Him. A beautiful time, for sure. Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I always enjoy hearing from you. Have a wonderful day. :)