"Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you."

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Yayyyy, I Finally Did It ! And Prayer


Hi everyone,

I hope all of you have had a great  Sunday.  My church conference weekend was great. :)

I guess you are all wondering: What did you do?   Well again, the pilot light went out on our furnace.  And guess what, I relit it all by myself. YAYYYY!!! :) It took two tries but I did it. :)


I have been thinking about prayer the past few days. And haven't been sure what I wanted to right about it. I hope this makes sense. :)

Before the first generation of mankind passed away, men began to call upon God.

 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.
Genisis 4:26

Prayers, whether with or without sacrifices, were constantly offered by the patriarchs. We notice in the old testament that prayer and sacrifice were connected on at least two occasions. One, repentance from sin on the Day of Atonement. And two, a prayer of thanksgiving at the time of the offering of tithes and the firstfruits of the field.

Prayer was a part of life for all the righteous of the old and new testament times. And animal sacrifice which pointed man to Christ was a part of that until the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus being the last and great sacrifice.


Now, the sacrifice that Jesus asks of us is that of a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Meaning a humble and repentant heart and spirit.


The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Psalms 34:18

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart...
Psalms 51:17

As we learn and understand our true relationship to God, namely that He is our Father and we are his children (Hebrews 12:9; Roman 8:16), prayer becomes a natural part of our lives. Prayer is the way we learn the will of God for us. By revelation to us through the Holy Spirit, that still small voice, that feeling or thought that comes to us as we pray.

Jesus showed us how to pray (Matthew 6:9...) It was like an outline. A very simple way to speak with our Father. We just start out by addressing Him; Our Father in Heaven, or Heavenly Father. Then thank him for the blessings that He has given us; our families, good health, etc. Then ask for the things that we are in need of;  Help with a spouse or child, answer to a problem or blessings for a friend. And then close; in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. Very plain, very simple. We do not need to be concerned with fancy words or anything. He wants to hear from us. He wants to bless us. :)

The part of prayer that we often don't think about as much, is the listening part. Answers may come right away if we stay on our knees a little longer and listen. Again, it's that thought that comes to our mind or the feeling that comes in our heart. That is Heavenly Father answering us through the Spirit, the still small voice. :)  I believe that prayers are always answered. Maybe not right away, maybe not in the way we expect. Heavenly Father always answers our prayers.

Ok, my goodness this is long. If you got this far, thank you for being interested in what I had to say. :)

Have a great week. Take care....

 


7 comments:

  1. Awesome Post :>)
    Congrats on getting the Piolet lit ..I wouldn't even know how to lite one...

    Glad you had a good time at the conference.
    I believe in Prayer and I believe that our prayers are answered.. as you said maybe not always the way we think they should or the way we want but they are answered. I don't know where my life might be if not for my prayers and my answers..and the prayers of others in my behalf..
    Thanks for sharing!

    You to have a great week!!

    Hugs
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweetie! This was a post of two parts...my comment shall be so too!
    First up..YaY! ***High five*** about the furnace! :)
    Secondly...a truly lovely piece on prayer, so
    helpful as a reminder, especially about the
    'still, small voice'.
    That's what I love about blogs: people humbly offering their modest 'take' on things, turning into
    genuine benefit to their friends. You are a good teacher!
    xxx H

    ReplyDelete
  3. High five! You deserve one for lighting the pilot flame!!

    Love your thoughts on prayer.
    I must say a million prayers a day, and I have a firm testimony of the power of prayer!!
    Heavenly Father ALWAYS answers our prayers.. sometime we don't recongnize the answer, because it's not the answer that we are looking for.... but the answer is always there.

    Hope that this is a great week for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet- Sorry- I deleted before because I put an extra E in your name!;>) I believe that prayers are always answered, too, but not always in the way we think they will be-or rather the ways we think they SHOULD be answered. I believe God grants many miracles when we pray for them. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it wonderful that we serve a prayer answering God??
    Such a beautiful post, dear friend..
    Thank you..
    God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post Janet. Prayer was an important subject at the conference.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I always enjoy hearing from you. Have a wonderful day. :)